Sunday, September 2, 2012

Quick Steelcut Oats for Breakfast

I love Trader Joes's. One of my favorite things in their freezer section is the Steelcut Oats.  They are perfect little packages of breakfast goodness.  And, for me, they are a great breakfast option when I need something quick.
Then, I saw this post about how she made her own breakfast "Oatmeal Breakfast Pucks."  I was intrigued enough to try it.  So, I picked up some Steelcut Oats in the bulk section of my local store, and gace it a go!
I cooked the oats at a ratio of 1 part oats:3 1/2 parts water.  When they were finished, I scooped them into my muffin tins, and popped them into the freezer.  They were a little warm going in so I froze them for a couple hours before trying to repackage them.
Then, I filled my sink with about an inch of warm water and set the trays inside.  The oatmeal popped right out.  I threw them all into a freezer bag, and squished out all the air.  Labeled the bag, and stuck them back in the freezer.
Steelcut Oats for Breakfast
1 part steelcut oats
3 1/2 parts water

Bring to a boil in a large enough pot.  Turn down to simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.  Stir occassionally to preent the oats from sticking.  When cooked, but still a little runny, transfer to muffin tins for freezing.  My standard muffin tin, is about a 1/2 C serving.  Let the oats cool slightly, then, flash freeze.  Transfer to a freezer bag for storage.

Reheat each 1/2 C serving for 1 minute 30 seconds on high.  Stir, and heat for 1 more minute.  Top as desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails